What Is A Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover refers to a set of cosmetic plastic surgery procedures designed to help female patients address common after-effects of childbirth on the face, breasts, and body. It helps restore a patient’s pre-pregnancy appearance and can involve multiple procedures, depending on a patient’s desired look and the timeline for results. Mommy makeovers can include non-surgical and surgical cosmetic procedures.
Benefits Of A Mommy Makeover
Pregnancy can leave lasting — and often unwanted — effects on a patient’s appearance, such as sagging breasts, stretched abdominal muscles, and loose, excess skin. Many women are discouraged when their breasts and body do not return to their pre-pregnancy shape, even with a healthy diet and exercise. A mommy makeover can help correct all of the following problems and give patients the body they want.
- Fix sagging & restore volume to breasts
- Repair stretched or enlarged nipple/areola
- Improve breast symmetry
- Repair stretched/separated abdominal muscles
When Should I Have A Mommy Makeover?
Pinpointing the correct time to undergo a mommy makeover is a decision between you and your plastic surgeon. However, there are some key factors you should consider before deciding on a mommy makeover, including if you are fully recovered from childbirth, if you are still breastfeeding (we usually recommend waiting several months after), if you want to have more children, and if you have help for childcare — after surgery, patients will not be allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds.
What Does A Mommy Makeover Consist Of?
Pregnancy has the greatest effect on the body and breasts, so mommy makeovers usually consist of breast enhancement and body contouring procedures. The following are surgical procedures patients usually choose as part of a mommy makeover.
- Breast augmentation/breast lift. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can also cause great stress on the breasts and cause them to sag. Breast surgery procedures, like breast augmentation or a breast lift, can help rejuvenate the breast region and give patients the youthful look they had prior to having children.
- Tummy tuck. Pregnancy can also stress the stomach muscles, causing them to stretch. Once patients give birth and begin recovering, they can be left with sagging skin in the midsection. An abdominoplasty helps address this situation by getting rid of loose skin and reshaping the stomach muscles.
- Liposuction. Liposuction can remove excess fat pockets left over on a patient’s body from pregnancy and refine the shape of their body to fit their goals. Our surgeons also use liposuction to remove excess skin and fat that can build up in the thigh region during and immediately following pregnancy.
A mommy makeover can also include non surgical procedures, such as injectables, skin resurfacing treatments, skin tightening treatments, and more. Contact us today to learn more about all the procedures we can perform as part of a mommy makeover.
Is It Possible To Have More Children After A Mommy Makeover?
Yes, it is possible to have a mommy makeover then have more children, however, it is not suggested. For example, if a patient has more children after a tummy tuck, the results of the tummy tuck can be reversed back to the condition the abdomen was in before the tummy tuck occurred. Consequently, it is best to be absolutely sure you plan to have no more children in the future before having a full mommy makeover.
Mommy Makeover Side Effects
As with any cosmetic or surgical procedure, there are side effects patients need to be aware of before deciding to undergo a mommy makeover. The side effects include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Poor Incision Healing
- Loss Of Nipple Sensation
- Inability To Breastfeed
- Implant Leak
- Capsular Contracture
- Unfavorable Scarring
- Recurrent Looseness Of Skin
How Do I Prepare For A Mommy Makeover?
Since a mommy makeover oftentimes requires more than one procedure, making the right preparations is important. Patients will discuss the exact procedures being performed with Dr. Tyrone or Dr. Khairalla, and be given specific instructions depending on which surgeries are being performed. Generally speaking, patients should avoid smoking at least six weeks before surgery, avoid taking aspirin before the surgery as this can increase the risk of bleeding, and arrange a ride home from the surgery.
Mommy Makeover Recovery
In most cases, patients will go home within hours after a mommy makeover. In nearly all cases, patients that undergo a mommy makeover can return to the majority of their activities within two weeks. However, patients will be restricted from strenuous exercise for four to six weeks to avoid complications caused by performing activities before the body is ready. For more information about recovering from a mommy makeover, contact us.